Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Josh's AmIdol Review: Top 36 Group 1

I'm not gonna lie, I'm an American Idol fan. Isn't it just quintessentially American to have a group of people with a dream getting a chance to fulfill it? I know this is a site on my opinion on politics, but seeing as more people vote in the AmIdol competition than vote for President of the United States, I'll cross the bridge between the less serious and the more serious and hopefully, maybe bring people who are interested in Idol and not that interested in politics, over to the basics! Anyway here where my top and bottom three tonight.

Bottom Three:

WORST OF THE WORST: Casey Carlson- Wow. Casey is fine. And that's about where it ends for her. She's got absolutely no stage presence and her choice of The Police's classic "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" was a huge, huge, HUGE tragic mistake. Casey is a classic case of the ballsy choice is not always the best choice. Kara called her a "package artist" and herein lies the error of Casey's ways. She could have afforded to be safe, she's fine and she's got a decent voice, had she done a slower more sultry song it would have been easier for her to sing and she probably would have had a shot of going through.

2nd- Anoop Desani- I like 'Noop-Dawg, (Randy and Kara kept calling him "Anoop-Dawg", when he actually first introduced himself as "'Noop-Dawg") however his choice of "Angel of Mine" showed he really doesn't have alot of imagination and he's content on being that ballady R&B singer. He has a good voice that reminds me a bit of Brian McKnight, but he strikes me as the sort of guy who would be content singing his favorites from the vast catalouge of R&B super hits for his close family members for the rest of his life. I don't really think his heart is in winning this competition.

3rd- Ann Marie Baskovich- I hated it. I think Ann Marie is hot, but choosing "A Natural Woman" was a bad choice. Kelly Clarkson nailed that song time and time again and it became her signature song during the show, Ann Marie should have sung "Love Song" as Kara suggested. I think there's a good, marketable contestant in there some where and I hope the judges give her another shot in the Wild Card round.


TOP THREE

3. Tatiana Del Toro- As despicable a person as Tatiana is, she did sing very well tonight. I think she should go onto the next round and the producers of Idol are going to be very glad for that as she is so much drama. She might not make it through because people can't stand her. The judges were saying they'd like her to be more flamboyant, I've got to say she was actually tolerable tonight and she would do herself a great disservice to go back to her dramatic ways.

2. Alexis Grace- Very, very good. As the judges said, she's the dark horse and does have a Kelly Clarkson sort of vibe to her. I liked her look and she was sexy. I like how she is heeding the judges advice, it shows she has maturity and that she really wants to go far as a recording artist.

THE CREAM OF THE CROP: Danny Gokey: Danny was, by far, the best tonight. His redition of "Hero" by Mariah Carey was a smart move and an obvious inspirtation from David Cook doing "Always Be My Baby" last season. Danny was the best and he'll go far.



Overall, I was pretty disappointed, this is not the level of talent we had last year, hopefully the next two groups are alot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment