Thursday, February 26, 2009

Josh's Weekly AmIdol Review

I can't really give you a best and worst list this week as I thought pretty much everyone did an awful job, and I'm thinking I might be rooting with the Vote for the Worst crew for Nick Mitchell, who is at least entertaining. There were a couple of people who at least showed some potential: When she started singing, I really liked Allison Iraheta and I thought she nailed her rendition of Heart's "Alone," though I'm kind of tired of chick rock singers who sound like her. It's so 1980s to me, especially in the age of Hayley Williams of Paramore and Amy Lee of Evanessence. What I'm trying to say is you don't need the gruff "I'm gonna beat you up" girl rock voice to be a chick rocker these days, there's alot of diversity in sound out there right now with successful rock women. I also thought Megan Corkery is an interesting choice, she sort of reminds me of Brooke White of last year. They both have different styles, but they're both throw backs. Megan could do very well this season, she's different and as Randy said with successful artists like Duffy, Adele, and Amy Winehouse there seems to be a market for her kind of sound. And finally, managing not to completely out-gay his own rendition of Cher's "Believe," Adam Lambert did his version of The Rolling Stones' classic "Satisfaction." I agree with Simon, the parts that sucked sucked really badly, but the parts that were good were really, really good. It was very over the top, and I expect that is what we should expect from him. What's strange about Adam is that I think he could and will do really well, but he doesn't seem very American Idol. I think he makes it to the Top 12, but he'll be a non-typical AmIdol contestant going up against Mr. American Idol himself, Danny Gokey. (Who as of now is my absolute favorite to win the competition.) So there you have it, unless Nick Mitchell manages to pull an upset, I think the three moving forward are Allison (who was the best last night), Adam and Megan.

No comments:

Post a Comment